A snack is a small meal or some food eaten between meals.
Some people advocate multiple small meals or small meals with snacks between to reduce the sense of hunger and the chances people will eat too much at meals. Others eat snacks to balance their blood sugar or energy levels out through the day. Snacks can also be a way to manage hunger when you'll be waiting to eat with others. It's not a good idea to go shopping for food when you're hungry, so a snack may be a good idea.
Snacks can be chosen to be part of a healthy diet, a sweet or something to satisfy a craving.
What are some of your favorite ideas for snacks?
- toasted cheese on crackers
- a bowl of berries or fruit pieces (for instance, grapes, blueberries, strawberries)
- vegetable sticks (carrot sticks, celery stalks)
- peanut butter on toast
- mini sandwiches
- a bowl of soup
- whole grain fig Newtons
- oatmeal, wholewheat cookies
- a hardboiled egg
- almonds (plain, roasted, chocolate covered)
- grapes (some people like them frozen)
- slices of fruit, like apples
Some fruit, like apples, will turn brown when exposed to air. Eat soon after cutting or coat lightly with citrus juice or honey to keep it nice looking for a bit longer. Keeping it cold will also help.