Wherever we live we have neighbors. Sometimes they are only a wall away; other times they are miles away.
Some neighbors are a nuisance or worse. But more often neighbors and the neighborhood make home an even better place. Good neighbors watch out for each other -- making the neighborhood safer. Good neighbors can also make a neighborhood prettier and friendlier. A good neighbor might water your plants when you have to be away, or provide extra safety by being someone you can call for fast help in an emergency.
In some places, it is common to hire neighborhood teenagers for certain jobs: yard work, baby sitting, etc.
- Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man. -- Benjamin Franklin
- For me, Los Angeles, New York, where I don't know my neighbors, where people don't necessarily care if they know their neighbors, I'm missing things that truly fed my soul when I was younger, the exchanges between people, the caring and the shared history with people. -- Sela Ward
- For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? -- Jane Austen
- If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. -- Lou Holtz
- Man's liberty ends, and it ought to end, when that liberty becomes the curse of its neighbors. -- Frederic William Farrar
- What do I owe to my times, to my country, to my neighbors, to my friends? Such are the questions which a virtuous man ought often to ask himself. -- Johann Kaspar Lavater
- When strangers start acting like neighbors... communities are reinvigorated. -- Ralph Nader
- When strong, be merciful, if you would have the respect, not the fear of your neighbors. -- Chilon
From Robert Frost's poem, Mending Wall, come the famous, line, with which he clearly disagrees with: "Good fences make good neighbors." 
- Wikipedia's article on neighbors
- Brainy Quote on neighbors]