Laundry is the dirty clothes, linens and other items that need washing. Sometimes the term is also used to refer to the process of cleaning or places where the cleaning is done (also see laundry room).
Derived from laundry comes a few sayings that comes from the meaning of "dirty laundry". Dirty laundry may mean that someone has a secret that lends to taboo that may be used in blackmail. It may simply mean laundry that are unclean or dirty clothing in a laundry basket.
You can save energy (and water and energy costs) with some fairly simple adjustments. For instance, most items can be washed in cold water. Full laundry loads are generally more efficient than partial loads. Many items will last longer if you hang-dry them.
Most advice on laundry begins with guidance on how to separate loads of laundry. There are a few different reasons for this separation.
- various fabrics and articles require different kinds of care
- some wash better at different temperatures
- some shrink in hot water
- some could lose special features or finishes
- some dry faster than others or wrinkle more
- some items can harm other items
Some considerations for separating laundry:
- whites versus light colors versus dark colors
- items that create lint versus items that attract lint
- how dirty the items are
- how quickly the items will dry
- how delicate the fabric or decorations are
- things that could harm other items - hooks, etc.
See more information at stain (damage).
From Vinegar Tips, "Forgot that you left wet laundry in the machine and it now smells moldy?" Pour a few cups of white distilled vinegar in the machine and wash the clothes in hot water. Then run a normal cycle with detergent." Vinegar may also help get rid of other smells that get into your laundry.
- Advice on how to Remove Mildew from Clothing on eHow.
(Then you just need to get rid of the vinegar smell on your clothes.)
- laundry room
- stain (damage)
- washing machine
- clothes dryer
- laundry line
- drying rack
- mold (and mildew)
- wash the laundry
- Get Out Today (student entertainment guide) on How to do Laundry
- Real Simple on How to Do Laundry: A no-spin guide to washing clothes, car-seat covers, and nearly everything in between. By Sarah Stebbins
- Laundry: 12 steps (with pictures) on wikiHow
- eHow on How to Do Laundry
- About.com on How To Do Laundry