As with many household chores, there are multiple ways to organize your closets. Here are some options.
The advantage of this technique is that it is thorough. The disadvantages are that it takes a significant chunk of time and place. If you don't have enough time to complete it, you end up with stuff all over the place.
- Select a place to use for sorting the contents of the closet.
- Take everything out of the closet.
- While the closet is empty, this is a good time to clean it.
- Sort through the things that came out of the closet. Separate them into
- things that belong in the closet now.
- things that should be thrown away, donated, given to others or stored elsewhere. Depending on your situation, you may want to store out of season items elsewhere.
- Group similar items.
- For instance, if this closet is mostly for clothes, put the slacks together, shirts together, etc. An alternative sorting would be by use, put the party clothes together, work or school clothes, sporty, etc.
- Within groups, you may wish to do a further sort, such as within school clothes, put tops and bottoms together into prepared outfits, or in a closet where you store school supplies, put the art class materials together.
- Group them together into color codes which may help in choosing clothes when trying to see which colors compliment each other.
- Consider if you need things to help your closet stay organized, a hanging shoe rack, boxes, shelf separators or other things.
- Consider where to place things as you put them back.
- Put the items you use most often in the most accessible places.
- Put the items that are more valuable to you in more protected areas.
- Things at eye level will, no surprisingly, be most visible. It's a good place to put the items you want to be reminded of, use the most or not forget. In a food pantry or closet, it's a good level to put the things you want to eat more.
Bite Sized PiecesEdit
Another strategy is to organize a chunk at a time. For instance, take on one shelf at a time, a section of a hanging rod, or the floor space. ...