A housemate is anyone with whom you share a house. The term is sometime used for people that share an apartment or other type of dwelling than a house. Other terms for housemate are roommate or flatmate. These terms are not usually used for a family member, even when technically, the family member shares a home, so is a housemate.
People find housemates in order to have company, to share costs, to try out living together before making a more formal relationship.
Some of the things to discuss and decide before you agree to be housemates are
- distribution of costs -- rent, utility bills, phone bills, etc.
- how to distribute the household chores
- how often each will do the household chores
- what will be shared? food? furniture? which rooms or space?
- quiet hours, noise levels
- joint or individual parties
- guests, especially overnight guests
- general levels of cleanliness and clutter
There are many ways to find a housemate. You can ask a friend especially if they are in the same predicament. You can try looking at websites or other advertising outlets that have people searching for a housemate to share their apartment with.
- Rules for Apartment Living otherwise known as how to be a horrible housemate