Most recipes for hot cocoa include milk, cocoa and sugar. Some also include liquors or spices. Some additions to hot cocoa are vanilla, cinnamon, chili powder, Bailey's Irish Cream, Kahlua, creme de cacao, whiskey or rum. Instead of using cocoa, you can use melted chocolate. You can substitute cream instead of milk, or water or soy milk. Instead of sugar, you can use another sweetener, including brown sugar, maple syrup or honey. Several recipes include salt, but I think that's totally unnecessary.
Basic hot chocolate
- Ingredients for one cup of hot chocolate
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup of milk
- 0-3 teaspoons of sugar (varies by taste)
Mix three tablespoons of cocoa into about a quarter cup of milk. Slowly heat the other 3/4 cup of milk in a saucepan on the stove. Stir in the last quarter with the cocoa. Add sugar to taste. Enjoy!
Feel free to add your favorite hot cocoa recipe here.
See links to more recipes on other sites in the references section below.
- (Mexican) Hot Chocolate on the recipes wikia
- (Raspberry) Christmas Cocoa on the recipes wikia
- (Homemade mix) Cocoa Mix on the recipes wikia
- Hot Mexican Chocolate with Cinnamon on the recipes wikia
- Italian-style hot cocoa on the recipes wikia
There's an article about hot chocolate on the Chocolate wikia.