The power of a garbage disposal is measured in horsepower. More expensive units will have more insulation and run more quietly.
- Always run the water when running the garbage disposal - start the water before you flip the switch on and keep it on for a short time after you stop the disposal.
- Whether or not you are running the disposal, run hot water when anything greasy goes down the drain.
- In general use cold water while running the disposal, to keep the motor cool (according to Wiki-how).
- Some people say that running the garbage disposal with ice cubes in it will sharpen the blades. (I don't know if that's true. Wiki-how says it is not, but that the ice will clean the disposal.)
- According to wikianswers, you can toss coffee grinds into the garbage disposal, but there are better uses for them.
- Wiki-how on How to Maintain a Garbage Disposal
- Garbage Disposal Troubleshooting on about.com
- Wikipedia's article on garbage disposal unit
- Garbage Disposal Troubleshooting by Bob Formisano, an About.com Guide in the Home Repair section
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.