An important part of home safety is eliminating or reducing fire hazards. That is, identifying situations which could cause an undesirable, out-of-control fire, and changing the situation to make it less likely. This reduces the chance that residents or possessions will be damaged. Some actions may have other beneficial effects, like reducing the cost of your home insurance.
Outside sources, like a forest fire in the neighborhood, can be added here too. Have you got something to add?
- HowStuffWorks? on A Guide to Household Fire Hazards within "A Guide to Home Safety"
- Reducing Holiday Fire Hazards on firesafety.gov
- firesafety.gov: An Information Resource for Eliminating Residential Fire Deaths
- Hazard Mitigation: Fire Hazards on the Canadian Government's Governor's Office of Emergency Services
- Fire hazard measurement for your rural or forest home: Protect your home and the surrounding forests from wildfire
- Electrical appliance fire safety on Directgov (UK public services site)