One of the items on many people's list of necessary maintenance tools is duct tape. It consists of three layers: a stick one (originally rubber based), a fabric layer and a water-proof (plastic based) layer. It can be torn off the roll by hand, but it is extremely strong, and the water resistance is useful for many circumstances.
- Taping duct work
- Getting rid of warts
- Making an emergency bandage
- Making duct tape wallets
It is sometimes called duct tape and other times duck tape. It is useful to make up boxes for moving. (Although you might want to use packing tape for that.)
There are people who claim that duct tape is one of the most important home repair tool to have and that you can fix almost anything with it. Some take this to extremes in parodies and spoofs. And a whole genre of duct tape crafts has grown -- including things like making wallets, purses, decorations (duct tape flowers) and even clothing!
- IdeaFinder.com on Duct Tape History -- The Invention of Duct Tape
- Reader's Digest on Extraordinary Uses for Duct Tape: Around the House from Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things
- DoItYourself.com on Handy Duct Tape Uses Around the House
- Craftster on Duct Tape Crafts
- Duct Tape Wart Removal (how to and cites the medical studies)