Eating is a core home activity and in preparation for eating... cooking is a fairly useful activity.
Specifically, cooking is preparing food with heat -- baking, grilling, boiling. However, the term cooking is often used more broadly to refer to any preparation of food, even cold foods like sandwiches and salads.
Cooking at home can provide many benefits:
- Home cooking often has fewer unhealthy additives.
- It provides a good basis for family dinners.
- You can tailor the food the way you like it.
- For instance, if you like your food spicy, you can make it that way.
- You select the menu.
- You can serve the dishes all at once or in the order you prefer and at the speed you want. No waiting on a slow waiter or being interrupted during a good conversation with questions about whether you're ready for the bill now.
- Most people are better at portion control with home meals.