Air conditioning cools and dehumidifies the air. This can make a home more comfortable during hot or humid weather.
Air conditioning can be "central" (running through built in ducts and vents), window units or wall units.
There are other techniques to make a home more comfortable when it's hot and humid. One is to blow air over a block of ice. (more...)
Air conditioners can be harmed by turning them on when it's already cool (below 70 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Air conditioning is abbreviated "A.C.", as usual.
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (H.I.V.A.A.C.: Heating, ventilation and air conditoning)
- Central Airconditioners on the U.S. government's ENERGY STAR site
- How Air Conditioners Work from HowStuffWorks.com
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- Air Conditioning Contractors of America
- Wikipedia's article on air conditioning
- Air Conditioning topics from the How To section of doityourself.com
- Lennox A.C..s (Air conditoners)